Monday, July 7, 2014

Where Did It Go?

We've all done it. There has been a time when we look in our wallets and say, "I thought I had more money than this." Nine times out of ten we probably even blamed it on ourselves saying either we dropped it or misplaced it somehow. Sometimes we even go as far as saying someone else had to take it. But once we start analyzing our spending habits over the past week or month we come to one conclusion............that you spent it. Yup, all of it. And over what? Nothing in your mind but "nothing" has cost one huge hole in your wallet that you clearly can't afford at the time. Those late night Mcdonalds rides have finally caught up to you along with other expenses that could've waited. So what now? You sure don't want to call your parents for a few dollars so they can lecture you into a talk about money management and you already owe your friends enough money as it is. Yup you're screwed.

It's not the end of the road though. Eventually you'll get back on your feet and pay back the tab to your family and friends and all will be behind you. We aren't perfect and sometimes we will fall off financially and need the help of family and friends from time to time. The thing is not making the same mistake twice. Somewhere down the line you need to look at your spending habits and prioritize whats important and whats not important. Trust me, the Big Mac can wait.

I was taught the hard way how to make better spending choices. Last summer I worked a very tiresome job and over our lunch break, I would basically buy a quick snack or sandwich from these vending machines they had.That was for about 3 months. After I left the job prior to school starting, I looked at my account and saw exactly how much I had spent in that 3 month time period. You guys would not believe how much I spent on chips, candy, drinks, and sandwiches on vending machines when I could have easily made a lunch from home or bought actual food in bundles at a store for a cheap price. I had spent over $200 dollars on these vending machines and I was so shocked because being a college student isn't cheap and I could have used that money on something far more important or saved that all together.

And that's life. I learned my lesson and I paid better attention to all my expenses from that point on. I'm sharing that story because I don't want someone to make the same mistake I did. Remember to be careful and catch your spending habits early on before its too late.  Prioritize, prioritize, prioritize!! I can't stress that enough. Don't waste money on things that you know you can do without because you never know when you might be left in a tight situation. Always prepare yourself for a rainy day.


So what are some things you believe you waste money on? Tell Pleasant Notice about a time that made you watch your spending habits for the better. Comment below or email PN at pleasantnotice@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment